Thursday, May 31, 2012

Class Talk


Well this blog is certainly not just about my transition and the steps I am taking to go through it, but in a sense anything I write in here is about it because it is a daily thing for me and everything I do, or happens to me is in some way related to the fact that I am who I am. right? right!

But anyway, I am sitting here this morning (got up at 7 am) getting ready to go to UNC Pembroke (University of North Carolina) to speak to a class on being transgender.

I have gone to this University a few times now, once for a Anti-Bullying Symposium of which I served on a panel of speakers, once for a drag show that was put on by the local GSA called SAGA (great success) and once to speak to that group as well about how it was for me being transgender.

So I guess with Robert heard from one of the Professors about wanting speakers for his class he thought of me. I am honored, I am glad that all of my hard work is paying off and that I actually have an effect on people’s lives. I am trying to help others like me, and others in my community to come to peace with their lives and help them in their journey. This is not just transgenders, it is the entire GLBT community I am trying to help here.

Anyway I am going to this class and speaking on being transgender, how my process began, what I am doing now and what I have to do to feel as though my outside matches my inside. I am bringing PJ (19 yr old daughter) with me. She thought it would be nice to have her there so she could answer any questions from a child of a transgender’s prospective. (did I use the proper punctuation there? probably not.. anyway) She figures she can give them some insight about how it is to have a mother who is now her father. I think she is right.

Amazingly I am not nervous in the least bit about this talk today. Maybe because it is so informal (tho the talk with SAGA was informal as well) maybe it is because I have spoken at so many things now that I am not as nervous. Perhaps it is just because I am not there yet. Who knows?

Anyway I better get finished getting ready. I will do a follow up blog about how it went.

Professor Stephens, here I come, hope your class is ready for this. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts